Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 left with a bang

Keith and I celebrated with friends the end of a great year.  We got married and found out that we will be adopting a baby.  The baby will be born in late May of 2011.  We are over the moon, we can't believe how blessed we are.  First we found each other and now someone is blessing us with a baby.  January 10th Gwen will go to the ultrasound appointment and get to find out the sex of the baby.  Finding out the sex of the baby has become a high priority, I tried buying the baby an outfit yesterday and I found some very cute outfits, but they were all definitely either for a boy or girl.  We have started talking about names, Keith like simply names and I like unusual names, so it should be fun finding a perfect name.

Our first project will be to replace the 2 windows in what will be our nursery. We never thought we would have a nursery - now we are almost counting the days - is it too soon to count the days.  Really how do parents wait 9 months for the baby - we so happy we only have 5 months to wait.  I visited a new aisle in Kroger's yesterday - the baby aisle.  Amazing they have a whole aisle in the store with just baby stuff, diapers, diaper whips, cleaning supplies, food, etc.  Formula - really there were 20+ types and if I remember my anatomy there's only one option.  I assume this is something we will learn about at the hospital.  But I hate to assume anything is there a book that tells you what kind of formula is best????  Or do I check consumer reports???  And who knew formula is more expensive and a nice bottle of wine....

Keith and I are very open to suggestions, let us know what worked for you and what didn't.  We are happy to not repeat your mistakes, we are sure we will make our own.  Did anyone go out an purchase the layette list (I found a list of how many undershirts, gowns, sleepers, etc that a baby would need)?  Or did you just wing it?

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! How exciting for you both! In my research, there isn't much difference on formulas unless you have a baby with special dietary needs (reflux, underweight, lactose intolerant, etc.). But they will gauge you for the premium name brand stuff. The grocery, other than babies r us, is the most expensive place to buy the stuff. If you have a sam's club or a Costco, they have the best deals on generic formula. If you really want name brand, I know Costco carries enfamil at a good price. If you have to buy formula at a grocery, you can sign up at enfamil or similac's website and they will send you coupons and samples. Wholesale stores also have great prices on diapers (for once your child is out of newborns) and wipes. My girlfriend's and I swear by Costco generic wipes (kirkland), though some of them have said that generic target ones are nice too. none of us much cared for huggies or pampers wipes. If you don't have access to a wholesale store, you can also use diapers.com (which even sells kirkland wipes) or amazon mom to get stuff too. Most of those places offer 20% discounts at times.

    I highly recommend carter's pjs, with zippers. I highly recomend any one-piece outfit to have zippers and not snaps (but that's a major personal preference on my part)Snaps are a pain at night. Sleep sacks are great pjs for newborns too. Jane loved hers with the swaddle wings. Abram wasn't a swaddler, but he wiggled so much that I wish I would have had the sleep sack with him. I wouldn't buy everything on most people's layette list. Most of them are made by manufactures who love to sell stuff. You can get by for a long time with a package of long-sleeve onesies, some receiving blankets, and three pairs of pjs. You will want more than that, but a lot of babies grow out of newborn stuff really quickly (or never fit in it at all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to hit up your pediatrician for as many free samples and gifts as possible, the ob will have some too. Mandy is usually embarrassed that I ask, but they have good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! We are SOOOO excited for you guys! This is just incredible news! =) The book "Getting Ready for Baby" by Stelian was great for knowing what to buy b/c the list was written by moms & not manufacturers. VERY practical. Funny story about formula--I guess you are supposed to pick one formula & keep your kid on it assuming it doesn't cause any reaction. BUT, we had a friend in Louisville who would just buy whichever formula was on sale that week, so her kids were always switching between brands/milk-based/soy-based, etc. Worked for her. =)

    I agree with Mandy...NO SNAPPY pajamas. Little cotton pants & onesie outfits work best for us. (And we swear by Carter's clothes.)

    Diapers.com is THE BOMB. They constantly have sales & if you buy more than $49, they deliver w/in 2 days for free. They sell way more than diapers too--strollers, car seats, etc.

    So MUCH love from over here!!
    james & kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diapers.com is the bomb. I love the idea of being able to order diapers, wipes, refills, etc and having them waiting for us versus a 3 hour trip on a Sunday...I would much rather spend the time holding my husband's hand or rocking our baby or both if I can figure out how.

    ReplyDelete